What Should I do if I was Injured on Someone Else's Property?

A property owner is legally responsible for any dangerous and hazardous conditions they know about or failed to fix. Property owners are also required to give adequate warning of dangers or hazards that might be present on their premises. A dangerous condition can be something like a broken staircase that needs to be repaired, or an icy walkway that has yet to be shoveled.

If a property owner becomes aware of a dangerous condition, it is their duty to protect other people by fixing the danger. However, a property owner is not obligated to protect people from dangers that are reasonably obvious.

Steps to Take

The first thing you should do if you suffer an injury on someone else’s property is get necessary medical care and attention. After you have been assessed by a medical professional, you will need to research the statute of limitations for your state. The statute of limitations is the time-frame you will have to file your injury claim. A lawyer can help you determine which statutes apply to your case.

Evidence will be a crucial aspect of your case, so you should take pictures of where the injury occurred. Be sure to get the names and contact information of anyone who witnessed your injury or has knowledge of the dangerous condition that caused your injury. Documentation is also important, which means you should write down what you remember about the conditions of the floor, lighting and other factors at the time of your accident or immediately following the accident.

If your injury occurred on a business property, the manger or owner will usually complete an incident report. Make sure you have a copy of this report before leaving the premises. Do not sign the incident report without first consulting with an attorney and never say anything that might imply you are at fault.

Call (646) 461-4009 today to speak with one of our New York City premises liability lawyers about scheduling your free consultation. We can help you get the compensation you are entitled to.