According to the American Trauma Society and the Society of Trauma Nurses,
slip and fall accidents remain to be the leading cause of serious injury or death among American
seniors. As part of National Trauma Awareness Month (May 2016), the two
societies are encouraging people all around the country to be aware of
what causes slip and fall incidents and what can be done to prevent them.
To do our part here at Lurie, Ilchert, MacDonnell & Ryan LLP, our
New York City personal injury lawyers have collected a useful list of
senior fall statistics, as well as smart ways to prevent dangerous falls.
Of course, if an elderly loved one of yours has already fallen and you
think someone else might be to blame, you can call us at
646.461.4009 to learn your legal options for pursuing compensation during a
free initial consultation.
Quick Facts About Senior Fall Accidents
- 33% of American elders (more than 65 years old) will fall each year.
- 7% of American elders will suffer a serious injury due to a fall each year.
million seniors will seek medical attention after a fall each year.
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI) are linked to falls more often than any
- More than 20,000 seniors each year will be fatally injured by a fall accident.
Quick Fixes to Help Prevent Senior Falls
- Install handrails and ramps around homes.
- Retain the services of a live-in nurse.
- Schedule routine medical examinations.
- Limit physical exertion and household tasks.
- Consider moving senior to a nursing home.
Of course, not every solution will apply to the life of every senior. Some
elders would not be happy if they did not feel like they were free to
move about as they please. Others live in spaces that are not easily modified
with handrails. The best answer to the problem of their safety and slip
and fall accidents may be to sit down with your elderly loved one and
discuss what they would like to do to improve their situation.
Keep in mind that you may be responsible for filing an injury lawsuit for
them if they slip and fall due to someone else’s accord, especially
if the incident has caused head trauma. Once again, you can
contact our New York City injury law firm for representation in such a situation.